HOUSTON FEDERAL CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY
In addition to practicing criminal defense in Texas state courts, I also accept federal criminal cases. Federal law governs a variety of criminal charges including:
- Immigration Related Crimes (Improper Entry, Illegal Reentry, Alien Smuggling, Human Trafficking)
- Environmental Crimes (Clean Air Act, Ocean Dumping Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, Endangered Species Act, Lacey Act)
- Drug Related Crimes (Possession with Intent to Distribute, Criminal Conspiracy, Money Laundering)
- Weapons Crimes (Possession of a Weapon by a Prohibited Person, Straw Purchase, Carry or Possess in Furtherance of Drug Crime, Transfer to Juvenile)
- White Collar Crimes (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Tax Offenses, Money Laundering, Mortgage Fraud, Mail & Wire Fraud, Medicare Fraud, Government Corruption)
- Computer Crimes (Possession of Child Pornography, Computer Hacking, Internet Fraud, Wire Fraud)
Federal criminal cases are different than state cases because federal judges are appointed for life and handle much smaller dockets in their courts. As a result, cases move much faster and the federal sentencing guidelines are harsher than state sentencing laws (with the exception of certain white collar offenses). Additionally, there is no parole in the federal system and offenders must serve 85% of their sentences before being eligible for release. Federal investigative agencies also usually build much stronger cases than do state investigative agencies.
In addition to being admitted to practice in Texas, I am also admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas as well as before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. If you or a loved one are facing federal criminal charges, call me at 713.665.4400 to schedule an initial consultation.